Friday 18 July 2014

Tuning into Summer with Michael Franks




"Summertime and the livin' is easy....... " as the lady of jazz Ella sang.  I shared with you in one of my posts the Unmistakable voice of Ella Fitzgerald.   I appreciate every era that begets amazing artists.
I was introduced to Michael Franks in the early '80s, the track was Tiger in the rain.  I remember never stopped listening to it, and I remained yours truly with Mr Franks ever since.
Michael Franks is one of the artist that has the 'it voice' unmistakably.  
In my opinion, I find it hard to distinguish musicians nowadays.  I feel the originality is fading away.  I remember the days when one could, without doubt, identify the group of singers, in almost any music genre.
  With Michael, it's not just his voice, it's his style of singing.  When he sings, you get drawn to whatever he's talking about.  I call it 'sing-talk'.  He has a unique style.  His singing brings a smile to your face.    
He talks about everyday happenings; casual things such as walking barefoot on the beach, and enjoying the weather, when the cookie jar is empty, watching the snow, the Yellow House, or what to do when sly calls.  I'm not sure if I have any favourites, I just love them all. At times he makes me laugh.  

If you haven't come across this great artist and like me, if you like this kind of jazz, then this will put you in the summer mood.

I will end with a quote that best describes Michael Frank's unique style of music.
Willard Hewing 6 months ago:  Michael franks can sing about washing clothes and eating pringles and it would sound like a work of art. He takes regular experiences and makes turns them into beautiful works of art. I will download everything he's ever done when it's all over. I rarely hear his music on the radio but I will spend the money on his songs. Anyway thanks for this playlist. 











.

2 comments:

  1. A big fan of Michael Franks. Spot on description of his style of music. Very nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much anonymous for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete